Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Hello from your new Sophomore Class Dean

 My name is Mary Laurita and I am thrilled to be here at Barnard.  I actually started out my career at Columbia University and have spent time working at several institutions, both public and private, across the country -  in the South, the Midwest, the West Coast, and finally, back here in NYC.  I have many years experience both teaching (mostly Russian literature, but with some Dystopian literature and Medical Humanities mixed in) and advising undergraduates. 


I think the sophomore year is a particularly important time - you’re gaining independence and thinking more seriously about the path you’re taking (intellectual, academic, and professional).  I want you to know that I am here to support you through this year in many ways - to listen, to learn about your individual set of circumstances and to help you to discover for yourself what resources and people you may need to connect with, what skills you may need to develop, what talents you already possess that you might recognize and cultivate more, and to support you through difficult situations that may require more help and guidance.


As I learn about opportunities and interesting events, I will post them here - I’ll try to keep up. There’s a lot going on here!


If you’d like to make an appointment to meet, you can do that here.  If you can’t find anything that suits your schedule on my calendar, please email me at mlaurita@barnard.edu  and we will find a time that works for you.  My office is located in 105 Milbank Hall, in the Deans’ Office for Advising and Support. 


I look forward to hearing from many of you soon!